If condition not working with input from keyboard component

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS Windows 10
PsychoPy version 1.85.6:
**Standard Standalone? yes

Hello everyone! Please forgive me if this has been answered before, I’ve hunted through the forum and couldn’t find this issue.

I’m programming a button choice experiment with two button, on the right and on the left. When the participant presses the right arrow key, it selects the right-hand button on the screen` when they presses the left arrow key, it selects the left-hand button on the screen.

I want a number to appear on the button they selected. Pretty straightforward, right? But for some reason, I can’t make this work! The button on the left disappears no matter which button I press - the if condition isn’t working. The output file shows that the key presses are being received and save correctly by Psychopy.

I inserted this code component:

if key_resp_1.keys[0] == 'right':
    rightB.opacity = 0
    leftB.opacity = 1
else:
    leftB.opacity = 0
    rightB.opacity = 1

I receive this error:

UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to unicode, interpreting them as being unequal.

I have tried all sorts of things to encode either the keyboard’s input or the ‘right’ string in the comparison, and debugging shows that I have successfully encoded them as either ascii or unicode, but the error keeps appearing.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Am I using the keyboard component incorrectly?

Done, thanks for the feedback! As you may be able to tell, I’m new :slight_smile:

Add this before your if statement:

print(key_resp_1.keys[0])
print(type(key_resp_1.keys[0]))

and tell us what you get.

Oh my goodness, I found the problem thanks to that code! It was recording ‘r’ instead of ‘right’. Thank you!