Fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Hi everyone,

I assume I did something else to my system recently (ubuntu 16.04), but I can’t figure out why I get the above error when I try to import psychopy

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing psychopy which seemed to work just fine (done using sudo apt-get install psychopy) but that did not resolve my issue.

No idea at this point what I could try or what I could have changed elsewhere on my system.

Any and all hints are appreciated!

Is that really the entire error message or were there some other lines?

I tried to install and got the same error message. Here it is:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
06:44:06 PM: Debug: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

how can I solve it?

Any chance of getting an answer ?

I have the same problem under Lubuntu 16. My .git folder is Ok according to git status. A new init of the .git folder or a clean install of psychopy did not resolve the problem. Coder scripts still work, but the builder won’t start.

The reason I’m not replying is just that I’m afraid I don’t know the answer! There’s very little to go on here to work out where the problem would be. The only place I can imagine git being a problem is in the code around psychopy.useVersion but exactly where this is failing is a mystery given the tiny error message.

Wow, this seems that I hit the dead end.

I had the exact same problem with my Ubuntu MATE Xenial Xerus.

Below is another link related to this.

Do you think it is OS specific? It is now December so could there be any breakthrough on this matter…?

You have all the source code for the application right there.

What this needs is for someone that is experiencing the problem to go into the source code and see which bits of code are causing the issue (commenting things in and out to see what makes a difference). it’s too hard for me to debug something that isn’t occurring on my computers.

Let us know how you get on! :slight_smile:

Hi All, I just set up a 16.04 Ubuntu machine. And I have the same exact problem. Here is a one-line python program called video.py:

from psychopy import visual

when run I get

python video.py fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py:273: UserWarning: Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. This may take a moment.
warnings.warn(‘Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. This may take a moment.’)

Now, I am not bad at code, but I am brand new to python and psychopy. I know how to code and search and shit, but I am not sure how to track down the problem. Would be willing to share my screen tho.

I got this error message on my Windows 10 system after trying to use a different PsychoPy version for one of my experiments.

I was able to get rid of it by uninstalling PsychoPy, deleting the folder “psychopy3” which I found in “AppData/Roaming/” and then reinstalling PsychoPy.
I am even able to use a different version after the reinstallation, although this throws a bunch of other warnings.