EVERYBODY: tell people to tick “SOLVED"

I sometimes procrastinate by going to old threads where “solved” has not been ticked. In a great deal of them, the problem does seem to have been resolved. E.g. in Status of pyxid package where @jon fixes a bug and the OP says that it works when pulling the commits. Should I just go ahead and tick “solved” on jon’s answer to let future users know that this was a bug that is now fixed?

In other threads, there is a reply which clearly solves the problem, but the OP never responds. Should we tick “solved” there, again as a service to future users, or is it too risky? I guess that if it somehow turns out not to work for some users, they will reply to the thread or post as a new issue that it didn’t work for them.

If it’s ambiguous whether the reply solved it for the user (e.g. if it’s an actual solution but very technical for the average user), the way forward is of course to PM the OP about giving feedback. The issue I’m raising here is just that it’s just a slow process when it’s almost certain that a solution has been posted.